Did You Know? Your Tips Are Taxed

Did You Know? Your Tips Are Taxed

Here's another helpful post from our friends at Savvy Sugar. Check it out:

If you're in the service industry, a big chunk of your income may come from tips. But don't think you can get away with not filing taxes for them. Here are a couple of tips from the IRS:

  • Tips are taxed. Your tips will face federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes. You will also be taxed on non-monetary tips like tickets, and gifts will be counted as income.
  • Include them on your tax return. Include your cash tips, tips added to credit card bills, and tips you split with co-workers when reporting gross income on your tax return. Report your tips with your wages on Form 1040, line 7; Form 1040A, line 7; Form 1040EZ, line 1; Form 1040NR, line 8; or Form 1040NR-EZ, line 3.
  • Report to your employer. If you earn more than $20 in tips, you need to report this income to your boss. Your employer is required to withhold federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes. You don't have to report non-monetary tips to your boss. If you don't report these tips to your employer, you will face a penalty.

To read the rest of what you need to know about tips and taxes, head over to Savvy Sugar.

More From Savvy Sugar

Watch out for these six tax season don'ts!
Just got married? Find out what every newlywed couple should know about taxes.
Watch out for these 12 IRS audit red flags.


Financial planning made simple.

Get your free financial assessment.

Related Tags

Get the latest in your inbox.

Subscription failed!

You're Now Subscribed!