CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERSTM
Who You Can Actually Talk To
Meet David, CFP ®
Why He's The Optimizer
In addition to general financial planning experience, David helps:
- Keep budgets at Net Zero
- Eliminate credit card debt
- Make retirement awesome
- Financial Planning Experience:12 years
- Prior Employers:Mike Mills Wealth Management, Lee Johnson Capital Management
- Education:B.S., Texas A&M University; Certificate of Financial Planning, Southern Methodist University
"How we spend our money affects every aspect of our lives. If you want to excel at your career, improve your health, or develop stronger relationships with the people you care about, then you may need more than a book, you may need a budget."
Meet Stephany, CFP ®
Why She's The Enforcer
In addition to general financial planning experience, Stephany helps:
- Coach overspenders
- Simplify retirement
- Optimize investment portfolios
- Financial Planning Experience:10 years
- Prior Employers:Pension Architects
- Education:B.A., Pepperdine
"Savor what you spend. Think about what gives you the most happiness and focus on always having room for this in your budget. I'll cancel cable and pack lunch daily so I can afford yoga and I don't ever feel like I had to give anything up to make it work."
Meet Natalie, CFP ®
Why She's The Trainer
In addition to general financial planning experience, Natalie helps:
- Make investing accessible and easy
- Self-employed clients organize accounts, structuring income and managing inconsistent income.
- Clients find balance.
- Financial Planning Experience:8+ years
- Prior Employers:Ameriprise Financial
- Education:B.A. in Economics, B.A. in Sociology, UC San Diego
"Open a FUN account and save into it monthly. These are guilt-free-whatever-you-want dollars that can be spent on absolutely anything! And the best part? It won't disrupt your budget!"
Meet Brandie, CFP ®
Why She's The Reformer
In addition to general financial planning experience, Brandie helps:
- Pay down debt (with style)
- Hunt for the best brokerage accounts
- Optimize investment portfolios
- Financial Planning Experience:6 years
- Prior Employers:Morgan Stanley Global Wealth; UBS Financial Services
- Education:B.A., U. of Colorado
"Don't shop with a cart. I love Target -- they have some great deals. But the only way I can spend less than $100 is to limit myself to whatever I can carry in my arms. When I start dropping things, and people keep asking whether I need a basket, I know it's time to head to the checkout."
Every LearnVest Expert Is...
Our Commitment To You
How We Make Financial Progress Feel Amazing
People lie. Numbers don't.
LearnVest's award-winning Money Center tool provides a clear and powerful snapshot of your finances at any given moment in time. You and your Expert can co-browse exactly what's happening in your accounts, so that you can both see your progress in real-time. And, if you'd like, your Expert will also be able to see when you're veering off track, and can check in to see if something important has changed.
Your Expert and LV's tools will always give you an honest assessment of your progress.
Your Expert gives you custom-tailored Challenges designed to accomplish your personal financial goals. Challenges are tasks just outside your comfort zone, so they're absolutely achievable, but feel like huge wins when you're done. As you take on each Challenge, your Expert will provide the perfect blend of cheerleading and tough love to keep pushing you towards real, sustainable progress.
We specialize in breaking bad financial habits and building great ones. For good.
Unlimited phone calls for 5-Year Planner and Portfolio Builder clients (we do ask that you schedule calls in advance)
Unlimited email access - so you can ask questions and absorb answers when it's convenient for you
A 24/7, dynamic snapshot of your financial accounts within Money Center (on both web and mobile)
When the unexpected strikes, your CFP® is just an email away.
Your CFP® will go above and beyond to make sure that you're taken care of.
We only sell financial advice. Our sole responsibility is to our clients.
We speak in plain English. No opaque jargon allowed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What's a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional? ▶Not all financial planners are created equally. Your LearnVest Expert will be a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional - a designation awarded to those who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the CFP® Board. A CFP® professional is required to complete a comprehensive course of study that covers all areas of financial planning, in addition to having at least three years experience working hands-on with clients. They're also required to pass a rigorous, two-day exam on the core topics of personal finance. Those who carry the CFP® marks agree to a stringent code of ethics, and they are required to complete ongoing continuing education that keeps them on their toes with industry changes.
- Why do I need a professional? Can't I figure this out on my own? ▶If you have the experience under your belt to confidently make decisions about your retirement accounts, create a debt payoff plan, analyze your budget, save for your kids' education (and the list goes on), then go for it! But if you're like the rest of us who find all the choices a little overwhelming, then you've come to the right place.
- What if I don't know anything about personal finance? ▶Then you're in the right place! Whether you're just launching your career, or perhaps taking over the family finances after a death or divorce, LearnVest Planning is the perfect place to start. No matter where you're starting from, our planners will transform financial progress into simple, achievable steps that don't feel overwhelming.
- Does this work for couples and families? ▶Absolutely! When money gets added into the relationship mix, it can get complicated. Sometimes it takes the help of an outsider to get you both on the same financial page and working toward your goals faster than ever. You're welcome to upgrade your membership using your financial information only, or add in your spouse/significant other's info as well (no extra charge).
- What if I'm international? ▶That depends. If you're a non-US citizen with most of your financial accounts located outside the US, we're unfortunately unable to serve you at this time. If you're a non-US citizen with predominantly US-based accounts, we can likely help you. Our CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals can help you with everything from budgeting to saving up to buy a house, but they won't be able to advise you on any accounts in your home country.
- Will LearnVest Planning Services hold any of my funds or place any trades for me? ▶We do not hold assets or place trades for our clients. We do offer you detailed portfolio analysis, and help you implement our recommendation with the provider of your choice. In other words, we don't select the securities for you, but we will develop an asset allocation strategy that meets your needs, and give you step-by-step guidance on how to put it into motion in a smart, efficient way.
- How do LearnVest Planning's fees compare with other fee-only planners? ▶One year in the LearnVest 5-Year Planner program costs you $508. According to the College of Financial Planning, the industry's average financial plan costs $1,900. That's a 73% difference. See, we're saving you money already! (Source: College for Financial Planning, 2011 Survey of Trends in the Financial Planning Industry)
- Wait, what? Where's the catch? ▶Our team spends all day, every day thinking about how to deliver incredibly effective custom advice for a price that make sense for real people. So far, we've found 3 ways to do this: (1) No brick and mortar: Your expert connects with you via email and phone, so we don't make you pay for upkeep on a storefront. (2) You do some legwork: For example, we ask you to hunt down a lot of your own data before your first working session, so that we can get to know you right away. (3) Our secret weapon: When you connect your accounts to the Money Center, your expert can see what's going on in real-time. Instead of wasting time trying to figure out what just changed, your expert can focus on what you should do about that change.
- Do I get to work with the same Expert every time? ▶You sure do! Your Expert will be dedicated to you as you develop a relationship, just as you would with any other professional (like a doctor or attorney). Afer all, you'll be sharing your goals and fears about money so your planner can help you address them.
- Can I work with an Expert near me? ▶In order to keep our prices low, we do all our consulting via phone and email (no in-person appointments). But we will go out of our way to accommodate your preference for appointment times. Our planners are located all across the country, so if your work schedule doesn't permit you to take personal calls from 9 to 5, no worries!
- What if I don't like it? ▶You will. If the first month of your LearnVest experience isn't absolutely amazing, all you have to do is let us know, and we'll make sure you're taken care of. You can let us know by shooting us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give our Dedicated Support Team a quick call at (866) 413-7883.
- Can I cancel my subscription? ▶Of course. Our most successful clients work with their Expert for at least 6 months, but you can cancel your subscription at any point. Upon cancellation, you will still have access to your planner and your premium LearnVest account until the end of the 30-day period, and you will not be charged during the next billing period. There are no partial monthly refunds.
- When do I get billed? ▶You'll be charged on the day of the month that you purchased a premium membership. If a month doesn't have that particular date, you'll be charged on the last day of that month. For example, if you signed up on January 31st, you would be charged on: January 31, February 28 (or 29 on a leap year), March 31, April 30, etc.
- If I upgrade, can I access exclusive premium tools and resources? ▶You bet! We have created some interactive courses that will magically appear once you become a premium member. You'll find tips from budgeting to building a portfolio, along with a collection of videos from recent events featuring impressive guest speakers and your favorite LearnVest team members!
Ready to Get Started?
Get It Off Your Chest
Answer a few questions about where you're starting. (No judgement - we've pretty much seen it all.)
Decide What You Want
Get a professional opinion on how much financial progress you could make in 3-12 months.