This post originally appeared on All You, by Diane Schmidt from SavingsMania.com.
I am on Twitter almost every day. I’ve found that it’s a great way to save money. Here’s how:
1. Search for Deals and Discounts
Before you buy anything online, make it a habit to first search on Twitter for coupon codes for the product or service you are about to order. Use the Twitter Search page or search field on your browser or smartphone app to do some basic deal sleuthing.
2. Keep an Eye on Giveaways
Twitter has become the new way of finding freebies. Here are some of our favorites:
• All You regularly has fun Twitter parties—with prizes!
• Disney Living regularly offers giveaways. All you have to do is RT!
• Fandango offers free movie tickets, sales on tickets and more.
• Pampers. If you are collecting Pampers Gifts to Grow points, you will definitely want to check out their Twitter page. They regularly post free codes.
• People Giveaways offer new giveaways. Recently they gave away a designer picture frame.
• Real Simple offers freebies from the magazine.
• Recyclebank regularly posts new point offers.
• Redbox posts free rental offers, contests and more.
• Toys R Us regularly announce new sales and contests.
3. Use Hashtags to Find Deals
#deals, #freebies, #coupons are examples of some hashtags that can point you to savings. Remember that companies often release on holidays and special days.
4. Use Twitter for Better Customer Service
If you mail a letter or send an email to a company to file a complaint or request help, only the company’s customer care department knows about your pain. But when you share your problem on Twitter, you are increasing the number of people who are aware of the issue. Calling out a company on Twitter can be a useful tactic to get your voice heard. Here are some things to consider before sending off your tweet:
• Avoid tweeting when you are upset.
• Focus on facts. You want your tweet to have the potential for going viral for the right reasons.
• Follow the company so that its reps can private message you.
• If the company does not contact you within 48 hours, send a reminder tweet that it still has not replied to your original tweet
5. Twitter Parties
This is one of the newest ways to win. I’ve won gift cards, a Hershey baking gift pack and more just by joining Twitter parties.
It’s also helpful to sign up for Tweeparties’s weekly email newsletter so you can mark your calendar with all upcoming Twitter giveaways.
Here are some other great parties:
• Savings.com: I’ve been a host on many of their parties and they are always a lot of fun, dishing about money-saving tips and more!
• Shespeaks. I love their Twitter parties, they always give away gift cards, P&G products and more.
• Socialmoms. I’ve been to many of their parties and they always give out tons of gift cards to Amazon, Itunes and more! Follow them here.