What Do You Do When Your Kid Inherits Money?


talk about inheritanceWhat would you do if someone left you a lot of money? It’s always a fun question to entertain.

But when there’s money left to your kids, it’s even harder to know how to handle the situation. Do you tell them that they’ve received an inheritance—and if so, at what age? What do you earmark the money for? And how do you convey the message about who it’s from, and what it’s for?

These are important questions to consider, since inheritances are becoming increasingly common. Researchers at the Boston College Center on Wealth and Philanthropy estimate that the parents of baby boomers will leave as much as $27 trillion to their heirs; baby boomers themselves are expected to leave behind $30 trillion in the next 30 or 40 years, according to Accenture. So, even if your children receiving an inheritance isn’t currently on your radar, it could be soon.

For expert advice, we spoke to Mary Claire Allvine, a certified financial planner™ and principal at Brownson, Rehmus & Foxworth, an investment and financial advisory firm, and Bobbi Bierhals, a partner in the private client practice at the law firm McDermott Will & Emery in Chicago.

Here’s their advice on how to communicate about a sudden windfall.

First, Talk to Your Partner

Allvine says that one of your first steps should be to talk to your spouse, to make sure you’re on the same page.

When children under 18 inherit money, they aren’t directly in charge. When the benefactor (your relative who passed away) wrote a will, he or she should have specified who will manage the money for your child. If she didn’t, the probate court will name a “property guardian.” For example, if your child’s grandparents left him money in their will, there’s a good chance they named you or your spouse as the guardian over that money. Otherwise, it would go to probate court; odds are the court would appoint you or your spouse, unless there’s some extenuating circumstance.

Depending on the sort of custodianship that’s set up, your child will probably gain access to the money when he turns 18 or 21, unless the giver specified otherwise.

RELATED: Estate Planning for Same-Sex Couples

So, if you’re in charge of the money your child inherited, you have some serious decisions in front of you.

Discuss with your partner:

  1. Is it a priority to save this money for the future, like for college tuition? Or would you rather use this inheritance to give your child a small allowance so he can practice budgeting?
  2. Figure out who will manage it. Are you confident in your ability to budget and invest the money, or do you need help from a financial adviser?

Then, Take Care of the Logistics

Unless the giver left the money in a trust, Allvine tells us that the best path will probably be to set up a Uniform Gifts to Minors Act account (UGMA, sometimes called a Uniform Transfers to Minors Act or UTMA), which puts you in charge until your child is between 18 and 21 (you can choose, but 21 is the oldest). You can do this at a regular bank, investment firm or mutual fund company, and may want to consult a financial planner who can help.

Next, you’ll have to consider your time frame. “If the child is 5 and it’s for college, then you’ll probably invest it” in stocks or mutual funds, says Allvine. Meanwhile, if your child is older and you’ll need the money sooner—for example, if you have a 16-year-old who’s gearing up for college—you’ll want to invest your money in something more conservative, like a money market account. As a rule of thumb, if you will need the money back within the next five years, you should keep it somewhere safe, like a money market account or a CD. Don’t know where to start? Try our Investing 101.

As your child grows up, think about whether he will be responsible enough to manage a big lump sum when he reaches 18 or 21. If you don’t think he’ll be ready, consider setting up a trust. That “might cost a few thousand dollars,” Bierhals says, “but will probably be worth it” if your child would otherwise squander the cash, or get overwhelmed. If you want to give him a sense of independence without entirely relinquishing the discretion of an adult, you might consider making your child a co-trustee along with you or a trusted relative, Bierhals says.

RELATED: Irrevocable vs. Revocable Trusts

Allvine notes that a trust can also save your child from unexpected peer pressure: “If you’re in college and your friends have tight budgets while you have this big pot of money, it’s easy to feel like you should pick up the check all the time or offer to pay a larger share of the rent.” Meanwhile, if the money isn’t readily available, she says, “it takes that pressure off.” It’s also wise to advise your child to save it rather than spend it until they’re old enough to learn the lesson that money needs to be earned. We’ll talk more about how to communicate how waiting will help their money grow, below.

Now, Have the Money Talk With Your Kids

Once you’ve worked out all the details, the next step is to broach the conversation with your children.

When to tell your kids they inherited money? You don’t want to destroy their motivation to work hard or succeed, but as The New York Times explores, you don’t want to totally blindside them later, particularly if it’s a very large sum. A lot will depend on your child’s maturity; you might explain the situation to a middle schooler by using broad strokes, whereas you might include a teenager on the specifics of how you budget and invest the money.

  • No Pity For You

    21 is not “the oldest”. In Tennessee (and some other states), UTMAs can be delayed up to age 25, at the discretion of the custodian. (I know this because I have a UTMA coming to me at age 25… I’m pretty pissed about it, I was fully expecting it to cash out at age 21… Thanks mom…)

    • S. Nathan

      Perhaps your mother has done you a great service. From your attitude it sounds that way.