And this week, we’re all about saving. Why, you ask? Because it’s America Saves Week!
Are You Up for the Challenge?
America Saves Week—or The Week, as we fondly call it around here—is a movement coordinated by America Saves and the American Savings Education Council to promote good savings behavior.
While LearnVest isn’t officially affiliated with the movement, we’re always up for a good money challenge, so we’re holding a giveaway in honor of America Saves Week. The prize: We plan to give one seriously smart saver $250!
Here’s how it works:
- Log into the Money Center. (If you don’t have access yet, sign up for a free LearnVest account.)
- Choose or create a Priority Goal to focus on this week, so you can see how much you’re saving at a glance.
- On Sunday, March 3, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell us about your experience saving this week. Was it easy? Hard? What will you do with your savings?
- One saver’s email will be chosen at random to receive $250 to add to his or her total.
Bottom line: It’s not about saving the most or the fastest—it’s about getting a plan in place to help you reach your savings goals.
3 Tips to Get You Going
Don’t know how to start? Try these foolproof savings secrets:
1. Create a $5 jar. Whenever a $5 bill ends up in your hands, pop it into your savings jar!
2. Set up automatic deposits. Have your paycheck automatically deposited into your checking account, and divert a portion of it into your savings. (Retirement savings count, too!)
3. Change your routine. While things like following the 50/20/30 rule will save you money on a bigger scale, a change in routine can also do wonders. So eliminate one non-essential expense this week—like a dinner or lunch out—and stick that money straight into your savings.
Incidentally, we’ll be issuing a series of monthly challenges—with financial incentives!—throughout 2013, so be on the lookout for other inspiring money dares.
Good luck! We can’t wait to hear all about your intrepid saving stories.