Your Privacy Rights
Information we collect about you
We may collect personal information that can identify you, such as your name and e-mail address, and other information that does not identify you. When you provide personal information through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Information you provide. We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our website or provide to us in some other manner. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date, or other financial information). We also may request information about your interests and activities, your gender and age, your financial life and other demographic information, as well as public information such as user ratings, reviews and comments, and other information you view or contribute to the website.
- If you choose to use LearnVest’s My Money Center (on the web or via the App), we will request usernames and passwords in order to access information as it relates to your bank account, credit cards, investment account, or loans. LearnVest does not store your usernames or passwords for financial institutions on its servers.
- Information from other sources. We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from other business partners, contractors, and other third parties, such as the U.S. Postal Service, to verify your address so we can properly ship your order and prevent fraud. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and additional demographic information.
- When you download and use our App, we automatically collect information on the type of device you use, operating system version, and the device identifier (or “UDID”). We do not ask for access or track any location-based information from your mobile device at any time while downloading or using our App. We will send push notifications to your device to inform you of service interruptions to the App. To stop push notifications, please edit your settings in the preferences page or at the device level.
How we use the information we collect
We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- Perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services, or content offered by others;
- Communicate with you by e-mail, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us or third parties;
- Develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our site and other sites;
- Verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes;
- Enforce our terms and conditions;
- Manage our business; and
- Perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption in the transmission of your sensitive personal information (such as credit card number) between your system and ours, we encrypt the transmission of that information using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, and we also use anti-virus software and firewalls to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information. We want you to feel confident using our website to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure e-mail, such as bank account numbers, social security numbers, etc. Notably, LearnVest does not require, request or otherwise collect users’ social security number under any circumstances and we encourage you not to voluntarily share your social security number to LearnVest whether by e-mail, on the website or on any other media. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us at email@example.com.
We may share personal information
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our website or while using our services.
We may share personal information with:
- Authorized service providers: We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include processing credit card payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
- For our premium members, we may share information with affiliated financial companies with whom we may market products jointly.
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government or regulatory agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- If LearnVest is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via e-mail and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- To any other third party with your prior consent to do so.
These entities or their servers may be located either inside or outside the United States.
about your activities on those websites. We recommend that you consult the privacy policies of all third-party websites you visit by clicking on the “privacy” link typically located at the bottom of the webpage you are visiting.
No Rights of Third Parties
How you can access your information
If you have an online account with us, you have the ability to review and update or delete your personal information online by logging into your account using the Login link at the upper right side of the page. You can also review and update your personal information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us by U.S. mail at the contact information listed below. You may also choose to close your account by e-mailing us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days.
After you close your account, you will not be able to sign in to our website or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time. If you close your account, we may still retain certain information associated with your account for analytical purposes and recordkeeping integrity, as well as to prevent fraud, enforce our terms and conditions, take actions we deem necessary to protect the integrity of our
Your choices about collection and use of your information
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in your being unable to use certain features of our website because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; rate, review or comment on articles and merchants; or initiate other transactions on our website.
- You will be given the opportunity, in any commercial e-mail that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional e-mail communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as an event provider) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change your preferences directly with that third party.
You may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing e-mails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these e-mails or you can contact
us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can import contacts from your Outlook or other e-mail account address book to tell a friend about our website using a third party service provider. If you choose to use this feature, we do not store your usernames or passwords.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our website, we will ask you for your friend’s name and e-mail address. We will automatically send your friend an e-mail inviting him or her to visit the website. We will also send a one-time reminder e-mail if he or she has not created an account within 7 days. LearnVest stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time e-mail and for tracking the success of our referral program.
Your friend may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our
If your personal information is submitted through our website when applying for a position with our company, the information will be used solely in connection with considering and acting upon your application. We may retain your personal information for a period of time, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. This information may be shared with third-party service providers retained by us to
collect, maintain, and analyze candidate submissions for job postings.
Please refer to “Your choices about collection and use of your information.”
Blogs, bulletin boards, reviews, and chat rooms
We may provide areas on our websites where you can post information about yourself and others; communicate with others; post reviews of products, establishments, and the like; and upload content (e.g. pictures, videos, audio files, etc.). Our blog is hosted and managed by a third party application called Disqus, which may require you to register to post a comment. In addition, such postings may appear on other websites or when searches are executed on the subject of your posting. Also, whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information on publicly viewable webpages, that information will be publicly available and can be collected and used by others. For example, if you post your e-mail address, you may receive unsolicited messages. We cannot control who reads your posting or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post, so we encourage you to exercise discretion and caution with respect to your personal information. We do not have access or control of the information posted to the blog. You will need to contact or login into the third-party application if you want the personal information that was posted to the comments section removed. To learn how the third-party application
Social Media Widgets
Visiting our websites from outside the United States
How to contact us
113 University Place, 5th floor
New York, NY 10003
Linked Financial Information
Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or web bugs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of web users or to access cookies. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the user’s computer hard drive, web beacons are embedded invisibly on the web pages (or in e-mail) and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Web beacons may be used to deliver or communicate with cookies, to count users who have visited certain pages and to understand usage patterns. We also may receive an anonymous identification number if you come to our website from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website.
Third party collection and use of your data
When you use or connect to a LearnVest website or download a LearnVest App by or through a Third Party Platform, such as Facebook or other social networking website, you allow us to access and/or collect certain information from your Third Party Platform profile/account (such as your Facebook account) or via any cookies placed on your device by such Third Party Platform as permitted by the terms of the agreement and your privacy settings with the Third Party Platform. We will share such information with the Third Party Platform for their use as permitted by the terms of the agreement and your privacy setting with the Third Party Platform.
We will share some of the information we collect from you upon install of the App with vendors and other service providers who are engaged by or working with us in connection with the operation of the services we provide to you and/or for analytics purposes, which may require the reproduction and display of such information in an aggregated and anonymized manner such that will not identify you in any way.
Last Updated: October 17, 2014