There are a lot of things that we could say about happiness.
During the holidays, however, we’re more interested in warm fuzzies than theoretical conversations or footnoted essays. So we asked members of the LearnVest team to name the things that make them the happiest.
We’re not talking about splashy Christmas gifts or once-in-a-lifetime trips.
No, it seems that it’s the everyday things that make our hearts grow three sizes on any given day.
So read on–and tell us in the comments what brings you joy.
Alexa, Founder and CEO
- Orchids (after I’ve negotiated the price down, of course)
- Connecting with friends, either through phone calls or our thrice-weekly, six-mile walk on the West Side Highway in Manhattan
- Making my mom happy
- A clean apartment
Ainslie, Chief Marketing and Product Officer
- The feeling after a run. Not the feeling before the run, and certainly not during the run, but the feeling after is awesome.
- Any play or concert featuring my kids–there has never been a time that I didn’t cry.
- Fires in the fireplace. It’s the warmth, the crackle, the smell and the feeling that I have to sit there, relax and enjoy it because it’s not going to last forever.
- Finding a great deal. I have hated paying full price since the day I was born.
- Roomba. It always vacuums the floor, and never talks back. It is an electronic miracle.
- Flowers. Arranging flowers. Smelling flowers. It never gets old.
Libby, Staff Writer
- Christmas socks
- Completing a successful DIY project–no matter how small
- Watching my spending go down in the trends view of the Money Center
- Mint tea
- Reading (or watching!) EM Forster’s “Room With A View”
- Checking something off my to-do list
- Waking up before my alarm goes off
- Strangers who let me pet their dogs
Corey, Account Manager
- Drinking iced coffee in the winter
- Arriving at the station when a train is just pulling up, so I don’t have to wait
- When an employee at my local coffee shop or bakery (or anywhere else) gives me an extra stamp on my loyalty card
- Redeeming my free coffee
- Rainbow sprinkles and holiday sprinkles
- Playing Balderdash with my family and friends after our massive Thanksgiving meal (and when it’s not Thanksgiving, looking forward to playing Balderdash with my family and friends)
- Happy hour … especially when there are free drinks!
Stephany, Director of Financial Planning and Certified Financial Planner
- A hot shower
- Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway with the windows down–and Tom Petty blasting
- Lazy Saturdays in bed with my dog and my husband
- Sitting in my parents’ backyard on a sunny day, and playing pool fetch with the pups
- A hard hike
- Re-doing my bookshelves–I always feel like our space is brand new when things get moved around