Your health is priceless. To keep yourself in peak condition, check out this helpful post from our friends at Diet Blog.
Study after study keeps coming out showing a link between poor sleep and increased weight.
We all know that sleep is essential for proper health. But how vital is it for keeping weight under control?
It’s All About the Hormones
- Ghrelin is a nasty sounding hormone that increases with less hours of sleep. As ghrelin increases, appetite increases.
- Leptin is the hormone that does the opposite. This hormone helps you feel fullness. With lack of sleep, your body produces less leptin, therefore leaving you still feeling hungry.
With both of these hormones unbalanced, it leaves you feeling constantly hungry, and unable to recognize satisfaction and true fullness.
Choose Sleep Over Exercise
When you are pressed with the decision of getting to bed early or getting in an exercise session, sleep wins.
Think of it this way: If you don’t get proper sleep, you won’t have the energy or capacity to exercise. Yes, you may burn calories with exercise, but sleep will save you calories in the long run.
What Counts as Good Sleep?
Most experts recommend seven to nine hours for adults. It depends on your age as well. The younger you are, the more sleep you need.
This is not to be confused with the thought that young people are resilient and can stay up all hours of the night.
But it is true that young adults can bounce back easier from bodily stress. However, sleep is essential for every human.
8 Ways to Sleep Better
- Keep your bedroom dark, cool and quiet.
- Try to stay out of the bed except when it is bedtime.
- Keep a notepad by your bed to jot down thoughts that come to mind while you lay in bed. This helps to calm the mind.
- Stay away from the computer 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime. The computer emits a bluer light that can keep you awake longer.
- Practice meditation or relaxation techniques.
- Exercise! Regular exercise can improve sleep.
- Do not eat anything two hours before bedtime to ensure proper digestion.
- Purchase a foam mattress topper if your mattress is to blame for poor sleep.
Do you get enough sleep? If so, do you have any techniques you use to sleep well?